Friday, September 14, 2012

Mexican Stuffed Shells


I made this for my mother, aunt, and family over the summer vacation. I found it on pinterest and immediately pinned it because of the mouth watering photo. I pin with my eyes first and then if I can't stop thinking about it I will go back click on the blog and read the directions.  If it seems easy and delish I will give it a try. If it is fantastic I then share it on my blog. I was a bit worried with this one because to me pasta and Mexican food do not sound appetizing. However every time I looked at the photo my mouth watered and I just had to give it a try. My mom is not easiest person to please so I was really worried that I would sit down look at her face and she would say nothing and politely push it around while taking small bites. However, she, my aunt and my husband loved it. They said it tasted like tamales. We each had two helpings and I will definitely make this one again.

This is a great dish to serve for guests with some Spanish rice and salad. It calls for monterey jack cheese. I didn't have any on hand so I left it out. Next time I will for sure buy some and add it because I think it would add another nice kick to it.  Try this and let me know what you think.


Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 package low-sodium taco seasoning or any taco seasoning you prefer
4 oz. cream cheese
14-16 jumbo pasta shells
1 1/2 cup salsa
1 cup taco sauce (This is a smooth, tomato based sauce found in the Mexican section)
1 cup cheddar cheese
1 cup monterey jack cheese
3 green onions
Sour cream (optional)


Preheat oven to 350°
Cook the pasta shells according to directions; don't over cook and drain. Rinse with cold water so they don't stick together.
In a frying pan cook ground beef; add taco seasoning and prepare according to package directions.  Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Blend well. Set aside and cool. 
Pour salsa on bottom of 9×13 baking dish.  Stuff each shell with the meat mixture. Place shells in 9×13 pan open side up. Cover shells with taco sauce.  Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes, with the foil removed.  Top with any condiments you’d like (green onions, black olives, etc.) Serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.
This fabulous recipe came from the blog, This way to his Heart.

3 comments:

  1. These look fantastic and I love the pic! Yummy!
    Xox
    Ash
    http://ABpetite.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks yummy! You had nothing to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure I would like these but I loved them and so did my guests. I plan to make them again. Just love your blog.

    ReplyDelete