Monday, April 2, 2012

Chicken Fricassee

I move to NYC with very little cooking skills and became a nanny for some very wealthy families. I was lucky to work with some wonderful people who cooked some wonderful meals. One family had a lady come in and babysit the kids on the weekend and cook enough food for the entire week. One of the meals she made was Chicken Fricassee. I couldn't wait to come in on Monday to see it in the fridge. My only mistake was that I didn't have her show me or give me her recipe. Years later I was thinking of this lovely meal  and decided to google it. I didn't like the versions I saw and decided to ask for some help on facebook. My old friend Chris Hartfield who I worked with for years at the Nordstrom Cafe gave me a recipe. I used he recipe and changed just a few things to my liking. If you live in Seattle go and check out my good friend Chris who is the chef at Paragon Bar and Grill. Also give this chicken fricassee a try and let me know what you think. My family loved it and the best part is I made a lot so I have leftovers for another the night. 

Ingredients

1 whole chicken cut into 8 pieces
2 carrots cut into big chunks
2 stalk of celery cut into big pieces
1 green bell pepper diced
1 onion diced
1 can diced tomatoes
2 tsp dried Italian seasoning If you have fresh herbs please add them instead
1 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup flour
2 tbs canola oil
Salt and pepper

Directions

Pre heat oven to 350 degrees

Heat a large stock pot with canola oil. Salt and pepper each piece of chicken. Dredge each chicken piece with flour and add to pot once it is piping hot. You want it to be hot so the chicken will get nice and brown. Brown each side and then remove chicken. 

Once all the chicken is brown add all the vegetables and cook for about 2 minutes. Add white wine and scrape all bits off the bottom of pan. Cook until reduced and then add chicken stock and tomatoes and a little more salt and pepper. Place the chicken back into the pot, cover with lid and cook in oven for 1 1/2. 

Take it out of the oven let it sit while you cook rice or mashed potatoes. The chicken will just fall off the bone and the sauce is great over the rice. 


7 comments:

  1. Mmm, I can only imagine how amazingly it smells during cooking! Thank you for sharing this recipe, Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A must-try recipe! I've given you a "Happy Blogger Award" @ http://sandrarecipeblogsite.blogspot.com/ by the way ;) Love, love your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, getting hungry by looking and reading that recipe:-) Doesn't sound too difficult either. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i could so go for something like this right about now! looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I've always wanted to taste this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM!! I love meals like that. I could have some right now please!!

    ReplyDelete