Friday, November 18, 2011

Chicken Chow Mein

I love Chinese take out but it is very rare that what I order is consistently delish. Sometimes it is too greasy. You get very little of the vegetable you like and and over abundance of the vegetable you don't like. The meat often is very fatty and sometimes it taste like it has been sitting under a warmer for hours. So I decided to make my own and I can't remember the last time we order take out. I took this recipe from a show on the Cooking Channel. One of my favorites is Chinese made easy. This looked so good that I made it. I changed a few things to fit what we like best. The first time I made it, it was too spicy for my kids and a little dry for me. Here is how I make it. I hope you try it and let me know what you think.

Ingredients

2 chicken breast cut into bite size pieces
1/4 tsp five spice
salt and pepper
1tbs cornstarch
1tsp chili sauce
couple of splashes of dark soy sauce
2 carrots sliced thinly
1 c. broccoli
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 c. bean sprouts
1/2 red or green bell pepper sliced thinly
2 tbs peanut oil
2 tbs. light soy sauce
Chinese egg noodles

Recipe

Boil water in medium pot for noodles. The noodles are thin and cook very fast. I always get all my vegetable cut and ready before I heat pan because once the cooking starts it all goes very fast. I like to blanch broccoli for about 1 minute. If find it helps get the perfect texture for when I add it to the other chicken. Salt and pepper chicken. Then marinate chicken in cornstarch, chili sauce and dark soy. Heat wok or large saute pan with Peanut oil. Wait until pan is very HOT and then add chicken. Saute it until brown. Add all the vegetable except bean sprouts. I add them at the very end. Add noodles to the water and cook for only 3 minutes. I like to add a little water from the noodles to loosen all the bits stuck on the bottom of the pan. It give you a nice sauce and makes it less dry. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add bean sprouts mix all together then add noodle. toss and serve. I love to cook this because it is a one pot meal.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Andrea! Chow mein is so easy to make and we can prepare it in a short time. I like making noodle dish because we can put meat and veggies together and kids enjoy it. Yours look delicious! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I see you just started blogging. I started this past January and time flies really fast when you are blogging! Have a great weekend (and Thanksgiving)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nami for checking my blog out. I did just start the food blog. I have a family blog I have been doing for about 7 years. I love it and food is definitely a passion for me. I'm glad you like my chow mein...I will keep watching what you are making and you too have a good holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to try this Andrea it's been on my list for awhile now! Maybe I will make it with my sister while I am here@

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment on our blog Andrea! This chow mein looks stunning! I'll be excited to try it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you have gotten my attention on this one. I am going to follow your instructions to the letter and will let you know. The pictures look great. Can hardly wait. LJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) I hope you like it. I have a friend who said she liked it but her kids didn't care for the chinese 5 spice. That is why I only use a little because sometimes it is too overwhelming. Please come back and let me know how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so yummy...my family will love this...thanx for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks yum!! I love chinese/thai takeout and tried a pad thai recently .. this will be next!! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete